Sunday, September 11, 2005

Dummies are Dumb



It's really a no-brainer
We tried "retrieving" for the first time at puppy training last week. Each puppy had a turn to show their stuff. (The hunting-dog people seem to like this exercise.)

When it was my turn, I was dragged over to the corner of the field so the other puppies couldn't distract me. Getting to the other side of the field took some time as the field was full of those great cow patties!

Next, they unleashed me (YES!). Then the trainer waved a little rectangular beanbag-thing called a "dummy" in front of my nose, and tossed it.

Little retriever puppies like me are supposed to pretend the dummy is a dead duck and run, fetch it and bring it back - all of this in exchange for a doggie treat. The doggie treat part is good. But, believe me, dummies are boring - especially when the alternative is to blast off in pursuit of the other puppies who are sitting in a circle waiting their turn.

So, I ask you: lifeless dummy or playful puppies? You can guess what I did. But, what would you do?

No comments: