Saturday, September 17, 2005

Friendly Fire


Never mind the gun shot, where's my doggie treat?



Not at all gun-shy
We learned about guns at puppy training this week. Yes, guns. Since most of the puppies are in training to be hunting dogs (not me - remember, I'm a family dog!) we have to be tested to see how we react to the sound of gun fire. (If you're a hunting dog, you can't be running away when the shooting starts!)

We all lined up in the field and sat next to our persons and waited. Then, one of the trainers walked a few hundred yards away from our group and started quacking like a duck (so she thought). She threw something up in the air (a dummy, of course!) and then fired a starter pistol - like the ones they use at races.

None of us puppies reacted, so, she moved closer to the group, quacked, tossed and fired a second time. Again, none of us puppies seemed to care. I know I didn't. I had other more important things to think about: doggie treats.

My person has bought new, tastier doggie treats for training. I suppose she thinks these doggie treats will make me do all the things I am supposed to do - sit, stay, walk nice and retrieve. So I couldn't wait to get started with those doggie treats, especially since I don't get my dinner until after training.